CHC Publications and Video Productions
NEW! Baking for the Victorian Christmas Table:
Plum Pudding & Mincemeat Tarts!
A beautiful video presentation filmed at Montgomery’s Inn in Etobicoke, Ontario, featuring CHC board member and historic cook Sherry Murphy demonstrating recipes from Eliza Acton’s Modern Cookery for Private Families.
The video includes a link to an extensive downloadable recipe booklet containing ten historical and traditional recipes (original text and modern interpretations) for Christmas Pudding, Mincemeat Tarts, Raspberry Sauce, Plum Cake, Gingerbread, Queen Cakes and Mackeroons. Note: This booklet contains four recipes not found in the Victorian Christmas baking recipe collection described below. Price: $23 (general). $18 (CHC members). No GST/HST applies.
Use this PayPal button to buy Baking for the Victorian Christmas Table with PayPal, credit card or Visa debit. Price: $18 (CHC members only). BE SURE TO CLICK & SAVE THE POPUP LINK TO YOUR VIDEO!
Occasional Papers of the Culinary Historians of Canada
New Series, Issue 1
The nine papers that comprise this 76-page issue were first presented by CHC at the Rural Women’s Studies Association Triennial Conference, hosted online in May 2021 by the University of Guelph in Ontario. They include:
- Chantal Véchambre on Acadian cooking in the early decades of settlement
- Gary Gillman on Margaret Simpson, a pioneer publican-brewer of Upper Canada
- Fiona Lucas on Catharine Parr Traill’s nine kitchens
- John Ota on two of Lucy Maud Montgomery’s kitchens
- Carolyn Crawford on the manuscript cookbooks of the five Berry sisters of Chinguacousy Township, Ontario
- Suzanne Evans on how The Five Roses Cook Book aided Ethel Mulvany, a Canadian POW in Singapore
- Nathalie Cooke on the resilience of rural sisters in arms; Samantha George on the WWII campaign by Canadian rural women to make jam for British families
- Shirleyan English & Bonnie Sitter on the “Farmerettes”
Use this PayPal button to buy Culinary Chronicles, New Series, Issue 1 with PayPal, credit card or Visa debit. Price: $10 CAD (no GST/HST applies).
A scholarly, annotated and illustrated recipe handout including modern instructions, prepared by Fiona Lucas and based on Catharine Parr Traill’s Female Emigrant’s Guide: Cooking with a Canadian Classic, edited by Natalie Cooke and Fiona Lucas (McGill-Queen’s Press, 2017, pp. 344–47). Free download; click on the title to access your copy.
Baking for the Victorian Christmas Table:
A recipe collection for contemporary cooks
A downloadable 21-page PDF booklet based on five years of hands-on workshops, containing a dozen modern interpretations of 18th- and 19th-century recipes for traditional holiday treats that would have been prepared in Canada during the Victorian period, including Mincemeat Tarts, Plum Pudding, Gingerbread and Twelfth Cake. Note: This booklet contains six recipes not found in the Victorian Christmas video handout above.
Use this PayPal button to buy Baking for the Victorian Christmas Table (recipe booklet) with PayPal, credit card or Visa debit. Price: $8 CAD (no GST/HST applies).